One of the other artists them I am researching closely since my residency in Norway (2019), where I experienced one of his skyspaces in Hardangervidda, is James Turrell.

Yesterday I visited one of his installations in Berlin.
Not a skyspace, but still very intriguing. I was curious in which length this would be the "same" experiece as the skyspae piece in Norway, which was also my first visited skyspaces, but even the second time around (with rain) it was an experience. Here at this diffferent location and installation, in the middle of a town center and not nature, what and how intense would my experience be?

The intensity in which he pulls you in as a viewer and makes you experience this light and this installation physically is something that I also aim to do in my paintings.

In this chapel of mourning they show the second half of the first hour and the first half of the second hour of the installation.
Especially the second 30 minutes I found really intriguing, the white light is whiter and lighter then ever before. What makes this intensity (apart from the technical segment)? And what makes it that it fully absorpes your thoughts and mind like meditation.

"Just" consciously undergoing the "being" and following the subtle light changes, keeping full attention, is like an hour meditation. He leads you. It fills you with a feeling of calmness, fulfillment and beauty, that the lights radiate.



Outside view of the chapel on the cemetary

Populaire posts van deze blog